Bendigo Regional Tourism Accommodation Association

About

Stonehaven on Monsants is a boutique bed and breakfast property, situated at 29 Monsants Road, Maiden Gully, some 7 km to the west of Central Bendigo. The property is 1.25 acres in area and contains a main residence, in which there two studio type suites, and a separate cottage. The buildings are surrounded by landscaped gardens containing some large trees.

A German couple built the three bedroom family house and the self contained "granny flat" cottage from quarried sandstone in the late 1980's. The house was one of the first to be built in Monsants Road when the, then, Shire of Marong approved the subdivision of fully cleared farmlands along the road. There was no sewerage at the time and all the lots were very large to accommodate the septic tank absorption drains. Sewerage and reticulated gas were connected in the early 2000s and the City of Greater Bendigo approved further subdivision of land, but with a minimum lot size of 1500 sq m. Consequently, the neighborhood is still spacious and well treed.

The house carried the German name of Steinhafen which translates as Stonehaven in English. Anecdotally, the intended occupant of the granny flat passed away before building was completed and the cottage was let out to guests. Following the departure of the children, the owner extended the two children's bedrooms and added ensuites to create the two studio suites to increase the number of beds available for guests.

Maiden Gully was named after James Maidens of Moama. He had many interests in the Moama settlement, but the rearing of cattle was his link to the Bendigo goldfields, which were opened in late 1851. He drove his cattle to Bendigo to holding pens in an area which became known as Maidens' or Maiden Gully.

Monsants Road was named after a Spaniard Peter (Pratty) Monsants who occupied most of the land west of the road, including that on which Stonehaven is situated, and farmed tomatoes for local consumption and made tomato wine for those with a taste for other than beer and spirits. The Monsants family lived, for 50 years in a sandstone house, 100 m from Stonehaven. The old house still stands, but has been substantially extended and operates today as Pratty's Patch - a bar and bistro which many of Stonehaven's guests use to enjoy their evening meal.

Bruce and Sue Phillips purchased Stonehaven in 2008, changed the name to Stonehaven on Monsants and commenced to market the accommodation more seriously. Bruce is a civil engineer and Sue is a horticulturist and garden designer and, together, they operate a retail nursery business from another site. They have brought changes and improvements to the gardens and have plans for more embellishments as time permits.